Re: 7.0 Landers Aftershock

For what it's worth--Caltech is reporting this as a new earthquake.  It is on
the east edge of the Landers aftershock zone and that is where the confusion
came in.  In the Landers area there are a number of parallel faults.  This event
occurred on one of the faults to the east where several aftershocks from Landers
had been recorded.  This is not an aftershock--it is a new event.  This raises
many questions as to the impact on the San Andreas Fault.  Landers raised the
probabilities in some areas and lowered the probabilities in others.  It will
take some time to figure out the impacts.  USGS will publish a report, at
sometime in the future, as to the anticipated impacts on both the San Andreas
and the San Jacinto Faults.

Hope this clears up the confusion.