Re: 7.0 Landers Aftershock

Dennis:

Perhaps you know....but for those that don't:

There are shake maps at the www.trinet.org that show the extent of shaking in
terms of intensity, acceleration, spectral ordinates, etc. These post
automatically within a few minutes of the earthquake using the real time
monitoring and near-real time stations that are available to the trinet partners.
You may find it interesting to see how large the ground motions were in the
populated areas, especially in the light of the lack of damage that has been
reported so far.

Chris Poland

Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> The news is reporting a series of earthquakes begining with a 6.6 aftershock
> of the Landers quake begining around 2:46AM this morning. Almost immediately
> after, the high desert and the Coachella valley (low desert) in the 760 area
> code, was hit with a 7.0 after shock. Within the next hour there was a number
> of after shocks around between 2.4 and 4.5 in magnitude.
>
> The epicenter has been reported by Cal Tech as 32 miles north of Joshua Tree
> and Yucca Valley. Joshua Tree area is not highly populated, however, there is
> a concentration in the towns of Yucca Valley.
>
> The quake lasted a little over 30 seconds and was a strong rolling quake.
> Those who are calling in from the area (Palm Springs, Palm Desert, La Quinta)
> have reported no structural type damage - although it is still very early to
> tell, but I would not expect much. There is no power outages reported -
> although I have not checked the scanners.
>
> If there is damage in the town of Joshua Tree or Yucca Valley that requires
> the help of local engineers to assess damage, I would suggest that anyone who
> has contacts with the emergency response teams relay the message to the list
> and provide a contact for us to call.
>
> I will keep the list updated as reports come in. This is not very friendly to
> occur when some of us insomniac's just fall asleep:o)
>
> Dennis S. Wish PE

begin:          vcard
fn:             Chris Poland
n:              Poland;Chris
org:            Walnut Creek,  California
email;internet: cpoland(--nospam--at)pacbell.net
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard