Re: UBC shearwall reinf.

The definitions of rho(v) and rho(n) have been unnecessarily
confusing for a number of years.  The problem arose when the
codewriters tried to generalize the definitions to cover
reinforcement that was placed at an angle (not vertical or
horizontal).  The resulting definitions are very difficult to
interpret at they confuse what is perpendicular (the reinforcement or
the plane).

The definitions in ACI 318-99 are finally clear.  Here they are:

rho(n): ratio of area of distributed reinforcement parallel to the
plane of Acv to gross concrete area perpendicular to that
reinforcement.

rho(v): ratio of area of distributed reinforcement perpendicular to
the plane of Acv to gross concrete area Acv.

-Mike