Re: 7.0 Landers Aftershock

I'm somewhat outside my area of expertise, but I was given to
understand that an aftershock is when new motion occurs on the
rupture surface generated by an earlier earthquake.  That is, if an
earthquake broke line AF from C to D, and a new quake occurred along
CD, that would be an aftershock.  I assume.  The problem is I'm
not clear on a "time limit" for said aftershock, or a magnitude limit.
(Can a 6.0 have a 7.5 aftershock?  Logically no, but hey, this is
Science...)  Also, it is likely that aftershocks will cluster near the
ends of the rupture surface (I *think* what the guys at that OES meeting
were trying to say).

I'll take a look around & see if my seismology text [blows dust off]
has anything useful to say on the matter.

More later.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, EIT                   Graduate Student Researcher
University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu