Re: nonbuilding structures

I would consider a single isolated cantilever pole as a nonbuilding
structure - other, UBC Section 1634.5, with an R value of 2.2 from Table
16-P.  It would hard to consider this pole under any of the descriptions
for structural systems in Table 16-N, even the cantilever column building
systems, also with an R of 2.2.  The key distinction is that the minimum
equations 34-2 and 34-3 should apply, not 30-6 and 30-7.

My interpretation for nonbuilding structures is that they must be
classified as either a building-like structure, rigid structure, tank with
supported bottom, or other.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo

"Mark D. Baker" <shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net> on 10/18/99 03:17:31 PM