Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: nonbuilding structures

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Based on the wording of the Code and information given at some seminars, Section 1634.5 should be used (subject to the limitations and allowances in all of Section 1634, i.e. RHO, T), unless an approved national standard is available (Section 1634.1.2 & 1634.5.3).
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 1999 3:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: nonbuilding structures

This is aggravating:
97 UBC seismic analysis for a 100' prestressed concrete pole (2' dia. @ bottom, 1' dia. @ top) with  light fixtures at top.
Clearly we are dealing with a nonbuilding structure, however... Does section 1634.3 Rigid Structures imply that only rigid nonbuilding structures may be designed under section 1634 ?
If the structure is considered flexible, should design then be per section 1634.5 Other Nonbuilding Structures  or would a flexible nonbuilding structure be designed per section 1630.2.1 ?
Thanks in advance for your comments.