Re: 7.0 Landers Aftershock

Wave interference effects due to ground motion certainly are
possible.  However, they are unrelated to "aftershocks."  The
following quotes are from "Earthquake Hazard Analysis" by Leon
Reiter.
(p. 12) "Aftershocks...are the related, smaller earthquakes that
often follow the larger main shock."
(p. 84) "Aftershocks are believed to result from the release of
stresses in and around the fault plane that were not fully relieved
during the main shock."