RE: 97 UBC Lateral force on elements of structures

Hi, Sam. Must be new to the list. Welcome.

This particular section of the code is soooo confusing and unclear, I sure
wish there would be a 1997 UBC FAQ on the 'Net somewhere. Oh well.

Anway, based on the Seismic Design Manual, it is acceptable to design the
wall section based on an average height, halfway between bottom and top, so
the answer would be (2), hx=0.5 * the wall height. Of course, prior to the
publication of the design manual, there have been many, many interpretations
but it is my understanding that the above best reflects the intent of the
author(s) whom I believe are Bob Bachman and Rick Drake.

If I am incorrect in anything I have stated above, please feel free to
correct me.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS