A question about evaluating an existing wood structure

before you go to the trouble of taking core samples to identify the wood, you
might try contacting someone who is certified to identify and grade lumber
according to industry grading rules non-destructively. here are a couple of
suggestions:

1) contact the American Lumber Standards Committee at alsc(--nospam--at)alsc.org or
301-972-1700 to get a list of accredited agencies to identify and grade lumber

2) visit our website at http://www.awc.org/pdf/alscgrade.pdf to see a list of
grading agencies and contact information for them. it also includes examples of
gradestamps that are used by these agencies for various species of lumber

3) visit our website at http://www.awc.org/dpm/database/awcsearch.asp to search
for American Wood Council Design Professional members whose expertise is in the
area of lumber grading or wood technology. you can search the database
specifically for those two categories. can also search by state

hope this helps. feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Buddy Showalter, P.E.