From: NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 1999 10:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: A question about evaluating an existing wood structure

Wood identification service (I understand that there is no charge for the
service -- I haven't used it so I don't know that for sure):

Center for Wood Anatomy
Forest Products Laboratory
USDA Forest Service
1 Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 93705

Regis Miller, supervisor (in 1996)
Alex Wiedenhoeft, Contact
608-231-9384

After you've identified the wood, you will still need to find a grade stamp
or else visually grade the lumber using the appropriate grading rules.

Evaluate the existing connections.  If they are inadequate, they are more
likely to lead to problems than inadequate rafter sizes.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer