Connection Responsibility

I know that the subject of who is responsible for connections designed by the fabricator or detailer has been hashed over and over, however over the past year I have started to see a large rise in jobs being bid that place the liability on the fabricator or the detailer. Now these jobs are not in the East where it is common for the fabricator to do this work (but not take the liability), but these jobs are showing up in the West in zone 3 and 4 areas.

The question of the day is this legal or are the engineers making these specifications and exclusions just sticking their heads in the sand and thinking that they have protected themselves by use of a few weasel words? And just think what a bunch of lawyers would do if they found some engineers with their heads in the sand and their butts in the air.

The reason for this question is not to start the debate over again but to get some hard information show  these engineers that they may not be protected by the exclusions in their drawing and specifications.

Thanks,

Steve Powell