Re: The Hector Mine Earthquake, 10/16/1999

Greg -

The 1964 Alaskan earthquake caused a seiche in Lake Pontchartrain.  Same
basic phenomenon where very low frequency seismic energy is captured by a
"liquid storage tank" (in that case, the lake).  I forget the magnitude of
the seiche, though.  One thing to check out is what frequency range your
instrumentation records.  I suspect the seiche should come from very low
frequency levels & some accelerometers do not record below about 0.5 Hz.
Not sure about the time frame, though.  2 hours could be about right since
the propagation rate is relatively slow (I think) for most long period waves.
(in comparison with the high freq stuff).

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, EIT                   Graduate Student Researcher
University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu