California D.S.A. & Column Anchorage

Hello again.

We recently got a set of submitted calculations back for a school project in
which steel posts with base plates and anchor bolts supporting a shade
structure were attached to the top of a pole-type footing (the posts and
footings are designed to transfer moment and lateral forces). The person who
did the plan check commented that the base plate, anchor bolts and anchorage
have to be designed for 1.2*Mp of the posts since a "pole-type" footing is
used instead of a "spread-type" footing. I asked him why service loads all
of a sudden increase when one uses a pole-type footing versus a spread-type
footing...thought maybe I was missing something and asked him to send along
a Code section, design reference, I.R., whatever, to shed some light on this
requirement. His response was that this is not documented anywhere and has
been a D.S.A. internal policy for over 20 years. I've spoken to some other
engineers that told me they've never heard this requirement before. Is it
based on the different "rigidity" of support that a pole-type footing offers
compared to a "spread-type" footing? If that is the case, perhaps a response
could address the differences. The reviewer did not properly communicate the
"why's" and "wherefores" of this requirement.

Would appreciate some guidance.

Regards,

Dave Adams