Re: Connection Responsibility

The court ruled in the Kansas City Hyatt House  "sky walk" collapse that the EOR is the only one in the entire construction scenario that has full knowledge of the loads and forces involved.  Some engineers will continue to shirk their exclusive responsibility and limit their liability any way that they can as a direct result of this ruling.  In this area they are requiring that shop drawings be prepared under the direct supervision of a licensed PE and be sealed.  This appears to be some sort of attempt to share any liability that might arise and to minimize the risk of not thoroughly checking submittals.

While I would be the last to want to see some type of adversarial relationship between detailers/fabricators and structural engineers, I do think that the buck has to stop somewhere.  Since the EOR is the one receiving the dollars for design and has superior knowledge of the forces involved, he should be the party ultimately responsible.  IMO, the detailer/fabricator should be responsible for compliance with approved shop details, specifications and field fit, period.

Can anybody direct me to a detailers list ?

Jimmy  C.......(hisself)