Re: hardiframe (and Z-Walls)

At 01:00 PM 10/16/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dennis-
>Thanks. Unfortunately the web site give no technical info. What do you use
for
>strength, stiffness, and R for 2'x7' panels? I've got some big loads over a
>double wide garage and Simpson's portal system isn't strong enough. If Hardy
>isn't significantly stronger I'll just use a moment frame.  I need to
finish up a
>design job this week-end.
>Chuck Utzman
>P.S. I ran a simple test on the Enercalc rigid diaphragm program.  The
results
>weren't too bad (so obviously my assumptions about how it calculates
stiffness
>were not correct).  However, the results were still not "correct" (i.e.
stiffness
>was not directly proportional to length) for a mixture of  walls in the 6'
to 24'
>range, so I would hesitate to use the program without more
>information--especially for short walls and/or unusual geometry.

YOU CAN TRY Z-WALLS, TOO.  THEY ARE MADE IN HAWAII AND YOU CAN SPEAK TO THE
OWNER/ENGINEER DIRECTLY.  THEY ARE A SIMILAR STEEL BRACED FRAME WITH
ONLY 4 BOLTS-2 TOP, 2 BOTTOM--SIMPLER.  THEY'RE 17.5" X 82.25" FRAME CAN TAKE
A LOAD OF 5300LBS TO 6300LBS ACCORDING TO THE DATA SHEET.  THEY AREN'T YET
ICBO APPROVED, BUT THE OWNER HAS A CALIF PE AND WILL SIGN FOR THE CALCS
ON THEM.  THEY COME IN 17.5", 23.5", 29.5" WIDE WITH 8', 9', AND 10' PLATE
HEIGHTS.

CONTACT JIM ADAMS AT WWW.HAWAII50.COM/ZWALL OR 800-735-5922

HE HAS CAD DETAILS TOO.

Debby Hight
Triad/Holmes Assoc.
P.O. Box 1570