OSSPAC Resolution to Recommend Seismic Zone 4 for Entire Oregon Coast: Part 2

OREGON SEISMIC SAFETY POLICY ADVISORY COMMISSION

Resolution to Recommend Seismic Zone 4 for the Entire Oregon Coast

September 14, 1999

WHEREAS OSSPAC's mission is to reduce exposure to earthquake hazards in Oregon by developing and influencing policy at the state level, and

WHEREAS the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services is responsible for adopting amendments to the Uniform Building Code (UBC), the current building code for the State, and

WHEREAS the 1997 edition of the UBC will most likely be the last edition of that code, and

WHEREAS the UBC will likely be replaced by the International Building Code (IBC) in the year 2000, and the IBC will use the 1997 NEHRP seismic maps which produce design level seismic forces for buildings on the coast similar to or greater than UBC Seismic Zone 4, and

WHEREAS based on previous experience, it is questionable whether the IBC will be adopted by the State of Oregon until at least 2003, and

NOW, THEREFORE, be it resolved that OSSPAC recommends to the Administrator of the Building Codes Division that the entire coastal region of Oregon be designated as Uniform Building Code Seismic Zone 4,*  as an interim measure until the State adopts the IBC as the Code.

* After passing, the Resolution motion was reopened and repassed with an amendment inserting the new wording as regards to new construction only, as shown below.

NOW, THEREFORE, be it resolved that OSSPAC recommends to the Administrator of the Building Codes Division that the entire coastal region of Oregon be designated as Uniform Building Code Seismic Zone 4, as regards to new construction only, as an interim measure until the State adopts the IBC as the Code.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me: Give me Earthquake Resistance or Give Me Death!"

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM    /    The Quake NorthwestTM
"We have nothing to Fear But Shear Itself."    /    "We're All Subducting In This Together."