Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: OSSPAC Resolution to Recommend Seismic Zone 4 for Entire Oregon Coast: Part 2[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Re: OSSPAC Resolution to Recommend Seismic Zone 4 for Entire Oregon Coast: Part 2
- From: sasquake <sasquake(--nospam--at)uswest.net>
- Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:03:35 -0700
- Delivered-to: fixup-seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org@fixme
OREGON SEISMIC SAFETY POLICY ADVISORY COMMISSION-- George Housner
Resolution to Recommend Seismic Zone 4 for the Entire Oregon Coast
September 14, 1999
WHEREAS OSSPAC's mission is to reduce exposure to earthquake hazards in Oregon by developing and influencing policy at the state level, and
NOW, THEREFORE, be it resolved that OSSPAC recommends to the Administrator of the Building Codes Division that the entire coastal region of Oregon be designated as Uniform Building Code Seismic Zone 4,* as an interim measure until the State adopts the IBC as the Code.
* * * * *
"The problem you have in most places is that they are not prepared for disasters. In places like Tennessee and Missouri [and Oregon and the Pacific Northwest], they aren't ready for the kind of earthquake that occurred there in 1812 [and in the Pacific Northwest in 1700]. You can't retrofit every building, of course, because it's too expensive. My feeling is that when you do build a new structure, build it the right way, and graduallly the old structures will be replaced by safer ones. Don't wait for the earthquake to happen."
ASCENEWS 21, 8 Sept. 96
Housner, "Father of Earthquake Engineering,"
Leads ASCE's Disaster Mitigation Conference
* * * * * * * * * * *
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me: Give me Earthquake Resistance or Give Me Death!"
Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM / The Quake NorthwestTM
"We have nothing to Fear But Shear Itself." / "We're All Subducting In This Together."
- Prev by Subject: Oregon Draft Permanent Rule for Structural Engineering
- Next by Subject: OSSPAC Resolution to Recommend Seismic Zone 4 for Entire Oregon Coast: Part 2
- Previous by thread: OSSPAC Resolution to Recommend Seismic Zone 4 for Entire Oregon Coast: Part 2
- Next by thread: 94 UBC CD ROM- Question for magnified printing