Re: Hector Mine Earthquake MMI, peak accelerations, etc

For those who haven't already checked these out......

The USGS website has the capability to receive reports on earthquake
intensities based on MMI, and provide a continually updated database.  You
can participate by going to the USGS "Did you feel it" Community Internet
Intensity Maps page and submitting a report form.  The URL is:

http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/shake/STORE_2/X9108645/ciim_form.html

In addition, at the TriNet website you can view Hector Mine peak
acceleration/peak velocity records, summary map, more, go to:

http://www.trinet.org/hector.html

Rick Becker, PE
ICBO Los Angeles Basin Chapter Webmaster
http://www.icbolabc.org

>   "FERGUSON, GREGORY N" wrote:   I work at a plant
>  Approx. 2 hours after the Hector earthquake, we registered
>  None of our seismic
>instrumentation registered anything at that time, and it was properly
>  We have checked in our area (heavily industrialized), and there
>were no reports to the sheriff of any explosions, etc. Is it possible that
>these large tanks of water could have "registered" some
>of the vibrations from the Hector earthquake? It does not seem likely, but
>I am being pestered with questions from our
>operators, and I really don't know what to tell them. Thanks, Greg Ferguson

>This one woke me up in Mammoth Lakes too.  The Northridge quake woke me
too.  Both real "rollers" here--not like the locals jolts that feel like a
truck hit the house.