From: Jeff Smith [mailto:smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 1999 8:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage

I went to the part 1 seminar yesterday. Very worth while seminar, I wish I
could make part II. Regarding wall anchorage of masonry and concrete, it was
stated that for zone 3 and 4 you have to use 3x members at the wall anchors,
2 or 3 2x's are not acceptable. I would think that a certain size and number
of multiple 2x's should be acceptable. Also, The speaker implied that
epoxied wall anchors may not be allowed since they are not hooked around the
wall reinforcement. (section 1633.2.8 and 1605.2.3) This section refers to
embedded wall *straps*. Why this would be any different than an embedded
rod, I do not know. Any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Jeff Smith