RE: Concrete vs. Steel

I think that it really depends on the complexity and size of the structure.

For smaller and simpler structures, steel will be most economical, fast to
erect, and simpler to design and build.

For complex and large structures, where the opportunity of reusing forms
becomes an factor, concrete will likely be cheaper and simpler to build,
perhaps not to design.

I think your question is too general, given the great variety of sizes and
types of structures.

My personal preference is concrete, however.  Nothing matches the feel and
strength of a well built structure made with the "man made stone".

I hope this helps,

Antonio J. Arthay, P.E.
Laurence & Associates