Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Re: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage
- From: Robert Shaffer <rkdn(--nospam--at)cruzio.com>
- Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:58:23 -0700
The 97 UBC Lateral seminar yesterday was filled with insights into the code and Dr. Ghosh and Mr. Neville sure did an excelent job. I beleive that there were two seperate points made in reguards to wall anchors; ( in my words not theirs )
1. the speaker seemed to indicate that the intent
was for ALL embeded wall anchors ( for out of plane forces ) to engage
the wall reinforcing, not just straps as stated in the code.
2. the speaker seemed to indicate that he was not enthusiastic about drilled-in anchors ( epoxy ?? expansion ?? ) since they do not engage steel for a continuous load path and they are tested in direct tension. ( not cyclical loading ??? ) And that some jurisdiction (?) has banned their use for wall anchorage.
The addition of horizontal reinforcing at the wall anchors, if
no chord steel is present, makes good sence. Plus take a look
at the requirements for shallow anchors in 1632.2, Rp drops to 1.5
from 3.0 for calculating Fp.
Robert Shaffer, P.E.
Jeff Smith wrote:
I went to the part 1 seminar yesterday. Very worth while seminar, I wish I
could make part II. Regarding wall anchorage of masonry and concrete, it was
stated that for zone 3 and 4 you have to use 3x members at the wall anchors,
2 or 3 2x's are not acceptable. I would think that a certain size and number
of multiple 2x's should be acceptable. Also, The speaker implied that
epoxied wall anchors may not be allowed since they are not hooked around the
wall reinforcement. (section 1633.2.8 and 1605.2.3) This section refers to
embedded wall *straps*. Why this would be any different than an embedded
rod, I do not know. Any thoughts on this?
- RE: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage
- From: Mark E. Deardorff
- 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage
- From: Jeff Smith
- Prev by Subject: RE: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage
- Next by Subject: RE: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage
- Previous by thread: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage
- Next by thread: RE: 1997 UBC ICBO seminar-wall anchorage