From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
CC: jwight(--nospam--at)umich.edu
Subject: Concrete vs. Steel
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:47:04 -0400

Dear fellow structural engineers:

I have received a request from one of my professors from school.  He has
been asked by ACI to look into the issue of the use of concrete vs. steel.
The question has been raised as to whether strucutural engineers are more
likely to pick steel over concrete, and if so...why?  I can give a fair
answer for the Detroit area, but they are also looking for input nationally.

So, I would appreciate it if you have any thoughts on the matter.  If you
have an opinion, then you can respond either to myself or to the list, and
then I will forward the information onto my professor.  I would also
appreciate it if you could specific which area of the country (or world)
you are from so that we can get an idea of "regional" preferences.

BTW, there is a little bit of a time restraint...I need to get any comments
forwarded by Thursday of next week (10/28) at the latest.

Thanks much,

Scott

Scott E. Maxwell, PE
Structural Engineer

SHG Inc.
500 Griswold, Suite 500
Detroit, MI  48226

Phone: (313) 442-8253
Fax:   (313) 442-8297

Work Email:     smaxwell(--nospam--at)dt.smithgroup.com
Personal Email: smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu