Re:Concrete vs. Steel

Nicole,

The title you're allowed to use depends on what jurisdiction you fall under.  In
some states you can't used the title "engineer" at all unless you are a graduate
of an ABET acredited engineering program.  I believe there are also states (New
York?) where you can't use the engineer title unless you are a PE.  In Indiana
(where I am) the only restriction is on the use of "PE".  Although I don't
necessarily think this demeans the profession, it does add to the misperception
the public has regarding what engineers do (I love it when people ask me if I
drive trains).

Please accept my apology on my earlier email.  I did not realize that I could
not say I was a structural engineer, EIT, when I am only an EIT.  I thought it
was okay to use the term as long as one said EIT too, I did not know that I am
not suppose to say it at all.  I have a MS in structural engineering, and 2
years experience, but  I always thought P.E. was the only reserved title.  I am
very sorry if I offended anyone.  I did not intend to misrepresent myself.  In
case anyone is worried, I have NEVER and would never EVER sign any drawings or
legal documents as anything other than Assistant Engineer.  I just thought this
was an informal survey.  Thanks for pointing it out, I should not use the term
loosely.  My question to everyone though is:  if I pass the Civil Engineering
P.E. exam (I have been told that they don't have a Structural Engineering exam
in Pennsylvania anymore), and I do structural engineering work, am I still not
allowed to say I am a structural engineer because I passed the Civil Engineering
P.E.exam instead?  If so, I know a lot of people who are violating that rule.

Nicole M. Stoudt