Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re:Concrete vs. Steel

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
While I am no legal expert, I believe that in states that DO NOT have an SE
license, you are allowed by law to call yourself a structural engineer if
you have a PE.  In states with SE licenses, it is a little different.  I
believe that California's SE act is a title act.  As I understand it, you
may practice structural engineering (i.e. sealing drawings) with a
Califonia PE, but to call yourself a structural engineer, you need the SE
license.  In Illinois it is a practice act.  As I understand it, this means
that you need the SE license to seal drawings AND to call yourself a
structural engineer.

In Michigan, we don't have an SE license (yet...might be in the works),
just the PE.  As well, when you take the PE in Michigan your only choice as
a Civil/Structural is to take the Civil exam.  The Structures exam is not
offers.  So, as I understand it, in Michigan, once you obtain your PE, you
may at that time legally call yourself an engineer.  Then most people
"tack" on their specialty (i.e. Mechanical, Civil, Electircal, Structural).
 I do know that Michigan keeps on record which exam you took (mech, elec,
civil, etc.) and you are only supposed to "practice" in the field you
specialize in.  For example, I took the Civil exam, so I can seal civil AND
structural drawings (because for Michigan, structural is a sub-set of
civil), but I can not legally seal mechanical or electrical drawings.
Also, you are only supposed to seal drawings that you have "responsible
charge" over.

That is my understanding of thing (if you can decipher my ramblings).
Please, someone correct me if I have mispoken myself.


At 02:49 PM 10/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>To All P.E.'s out there:
>Please accept my apology on my earlier email.  I did not realize that I
could not say I was a structural engineer, EIT, when I am only an EIT.  I
thought it was okay to use the term as long as one said EIT too, I did not
know that I am not suppose to say it at all.  I have a MS in structural
engineering, and 2 years experience, but  I always thought P.E. was the
only reserved title.  I am very sorry if I offended anyone.  I did not
intend to misrepresent myself.  In case anyone is worried, I have NEVER and
would never EVER sign any drawings or legal documents as anything other
than Assistant Engineer.  I just thought this was an informal survey.
Thanks for pointing it out, I should not use the term loosely.  My question
to everyone though is:  if I pass the Civil Engineering P.E. exam (I have
been told that they don't have a Structural Engineering exam in
Pennsylvania anymore), and I do structural engineering work, am I still not
allowed to say I am a structural engineer because I passed the Civil
Engineering P.E.exam instead?  If so, I know a lot of people who are
violating that rule.    
>Nicole M. Stoudt