California D.S.A. & Column Anchorage

1.2 Mp requirement is from old days. It specifically applied to moment frame structure when there were no specific guidelines for superstructure to foundation connection. This has been documented in old IR and some written memos.  However, I do not think this applies any more. The current CBC 98, Section 1633A.2.12 is very specific about superstructure to foundation connection. Keep in mind that the exception given in the section may apply in your case if you are designing as cantilever structure using R =2.2 (not 2.9 per Table 16A-P, item 5.2).

One more thought while we are on this subject.  Section 1633A.2.12 applies to any superstructure to foundation connection.  Does this mean that all anchor bolts for plywood shear walls and hold downs should also be designed using Omega factor?  Anybody care to comment?

Satish