Re: Concrete vs. Steel

Dear Greg in OK,

Please don't come to California to design until
you do some more
homework! :-)

Well-designed and -constructed concrete is a very
viable and ec-
onomical solution in all areas of high
seismicity.  This type of
structure has been proven safe in many
earthquakes.

The problems in Turkey were apparently due almost
entirely to two
factors: 1) poor detailing, and 2) poor material
quality.

In Kobe, steel buildings were affected as much, if
not more, than
concrete buildings.

If you drive over the Bay Bridge, the only
"obvious" thing is that
it is made of steel, not concrete.  It was steel
connections
that failed.

By your reasoning, perhaps we should prohibit the
use of steel
connections (in buildings as well as bridges) in
earthquake country,
based on the experience with the Bay Bridge and
Northridge.

Mark Swingle, SE
Oakland, CA