Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Engineering title

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In Michigan I don't think the firm needs to be "licensed", but I do seem to
recall that a certain percentage of the principals need to be license
engineers to be allowed to claim to be an "engineering" firm.  Same with
claiming to be an "architectural" firm.  If I remember, I will verify it
when I get home tonight (I just received the lasted printing of the "law"
book governing Michigan licensing).


At 09:59 AM 10/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Some states (including Alabama and Oklahoma, for two) require that the FIRM
>be "licensed" (they call it a Certificate of Authorization) to hold
>themselves out as providing engineering services.
>The requirements to be so certified include having a principal who is
>licensed to practice engineering in the area for which the firm advertises.
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)]
>> Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 8:13 AM
>> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
>> Subject: RE: Engineering title
>> >The engineer is now a
>> >client of the architect and not the owner so in theory, that firm has
>> >engineering capabilities, right?  WRONG!!
>> I don't know what California law says, but in Florida and Minnesota a
>> firm advertising as providing engineering services must have
>> a registered
>> engineer as a principal.