Re: rho or omega?

The equation for Em in 30-2 is typically used for attachments of non-structural
elements, such as a fascia system, large fixtures, etc., or for lateral load
resisting elements that may have a brittle failure mechanisms.  Equation 30-1
assumes a degree of ductility will be present and reduces loads on that basis
(the loads are inherently reduced in the Eh portion of the equation via the use
of R), and thus is not appropriate if deformation is not possible.  The omega
is intended to increase the load since the structure as a whole will likely see
a larger load than implied by Eh.  Notice that omega is smaller for structures
with lower R values; less ductility is being assumed thus non ductile portions
are closer to the appropriate load levels already.  If you did a typical design
approach for the structural elements, and didn't have any particularly brittle
details, using 2.8 in place of 1.5 is probably more than adequate.  This will
depend entirely on the details of the design, of course.  I imagine that
telling the plan checker that you used rho of 2.8 should put the issue to rest
rather quickly.