Re: rho or omega?

Darrell,

For light frame construction such as a house,  you are probably designing based
upon working stress (ASD).  That being the case E= rho *  Eh/1.4.  Ev=0 per
definition and the 1.4 factor is per eq 12-9 thru 12-11 for ASD.
Omega applies to collector elements and replaces the previous 3Rw/8 factor in
some circumstances,  but in your case you are probably exempt per 1633.2.6.
r.i = (Vtrib * 10/lw)/Vtotal   If your house is a simple box, then Vtrib is
half Vtotal and  Vtotal can be calculated per eq 30-11 in section 1630.2.3
which is plenty conservative when compared with eq 30-5.  The lw is your length
of shearwall,  so if you have less than 10 feet of shearwall you get
penalized.  Rho is then calculated per eq 30-3 and applied to Vtotal if it is
greater than 1.0 .
The equations 32-1 thru 32-3 for Fp are only for elements of structures and
usually do not apply in a house ( ie wall anchorage in a tilt-up or masonry
building ).
ICBO has a very good seminar on the new 97 UBC lateral requirements.