Rigid Diaphragm supporting soil

I'm designing a Golf Course Clubhouse.  The site is sloped and will be cut
so that the upper level is at grade on two sides and the lower level is at
grade on two sides.  The upper roof is wood construction.  The second floor
level is steel with metal decking and a concrete floor.  Concrete and
masonry retaining walls hold back the earth where necessary.  The structure
is rectangular in shape except that it is broken at a 30 degree angle in the
middle.

It was initially proposed that I should include forces from the soil in the
lateral analysis.  The retaining wall was designed as spanning between the
rigid diaphragm at the second floor and the lower grade.

I am having difficulty deciding how to include the effects that the soil
will have in a seismic event in the lateral analysis.  One method mentioned
was to take the load applied by the soil at the second floor and divide it
by the seismic coefficient to come up with a virtual mass which could be
included in the vertical distribution of forces.  However, the soil loads
only act perpendicular to the wall in one direction and the earthquake
doesn't.

When the contribution of the soil, direct shear, and torsional shear are
included, the forces get very high.  High enough that the amplification
factor of UBC 1630.7 ===> 3.0 and the forces get even greater.

Another thought is to look at it a different way and design the walls a
cantilevers and to backfill them before the second floor diaphragm is
poured.  Then neglect the soil in the lateral analysis.

What approach do you think should be taken in the lateral analysis of this
structure.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph M. Otto, P.E.
Ireland Engineering
Fremont, California