RE: Post-tensioning

I say "bring 'em on."

The fallacy of the arguments of e.g. the Buchananites is that they don't
recognize "quality" as a saleable asset, only quantity.

Quality costs more. And it is recognized that it is WORTH more. Were it not
so, do you think Mercedes-Benz would still be in business?

I defy "foreign design professionals" to figure out how things get done in
this country. Even when I bring foreign-born engineers into my bridge group,
it takes A LOT of training before they can determine how to do things
"correctly" in accordance with the way things are done in this country.

EXAMPLE: When designing a long-span steel bridge, I constantly came into
"conflict" with a Chinese-born engineer, with a Ph.D. from a U.S.
university, who could not understand the need to simplify and make uniform
details. He insisted on saving every ounce of steel he could, even if it
meant that we had twenty different sections!

He simply couldn't get the fact that, here in the U.S., material is CHEAP;
it is LABOR that is dear. In the P.R.C., it is precisely the opposite.

Also, constructibility issues were seemingly beyond him, since his attitude
is, "well, we'll figure it out in the field." I had to continually remind
him that "we" would not be in the field. In China, the engineer is GOD, and
follows a project from start to finish, going from the office to the field,
and "figuring things out" when you get out there. Here, of course, we worry
mainly about executing a set of BID DOCUMENTS. That whole process seemed
beyond his admittedly genius-level mind to comprehend.

In conclusion, there is so much more to KNOW about providing design
services. It isn't like writing a bunch of "C" code for a computer program.
The context is vital.