From: ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 12:25 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Engineering Title

You have to be careful what title you choose so you don't offend anybody. I
am a licensed engineer with a civil in California and a structural in
Hawaii.
I graduated from college with a "Bachelor Degree in Architectural
Engineering".

I mainly do structural engineering and for a time I used the title
"Architectural Engineer" so as not to be confused with doing civil work
(that
being the title given to me on my diploma). I was rudely informed by the
Architectural Licensing Board that I could not use the title "Architectural
Engineer" because I was not a licensed architect. I tried to explain to them

that the word "Architectural" is an adjective and not a noun, the key word
being "engineer" in this context. The board would not listen to reason so I
had to change my stationary and telephone listing.

When I got my structural license in Hawaii I thought it would help matters
list my business in th yellow pages under "Structural Engineers" with the
clarification that I was civil licensed in Cal. and structural licensed in
Hi. This, of coarse, incurred the wrath of the California structural
engineers because I was not licensed as structural in California. this time
all I had to do is move my listing to the obscure catagory of "Professional
Engineers".

I guess my point is there are a lot of bare feet out there and you have to
be
nimble not to step on a few toes.

ECVAL3