Re: Rigid Diaphragm supporting soil

I always have difficulty during construction when I specify the floor
diaphragm is to be constructed before the wall can be backfilled.  I have
decided that in most cases it is not worth the hassle because the contractor
usually backfills anyway.  So my basic approach when I have uneven backfill,
such as you describe, is to use a cantilever retaining wall.  Then I don't
have to worry about when the wall is backfilled.

Rich