Re: Suggestted Modification to List FAQ

I normally reserve my comments for technical issues, but...

I believe that I know why this change was proposed.  However, I
suggest that the change is too far-reaching.  Please note the
following definitions of "politics" taken from the Second College
Edition of the American Heritage Dictionary:

1. The art or science of government; political science.

2. The activities or affairs of a government, politician, or
political party.

3a. The conducting of or engaging in political affairs, often
professionally.

3b. The business, activities, or profession of a person so involved.

4. The methods or tactics involved in managing a state or government.

5. Intrigue or maneuvering within a group.

6. A person's general position or attitude on political subjects.

It appears that one person objects to definition 6.  However, many of
our technical (especially code-related) and business-related threads
fall under definitions 5, 3, and 1.  It seems odd that we can discuss
these items but not joke about them (if all joking is not forbidden).
Since many aspects of our professional activity are somewhat
political (according to the above definitions), perhaps we should
adopt a somewhat less totalitarian view of this list service.  (Or we
could all pass our messages through the complainant so that they can
be appropriately censored.)

-Mike