Notched Wood Beam

The UBC expressly prohibits notching the tension side of 4x wood members
except at the ends. I have a job where the architect wants to notch out 1"
at the bottom of a 3-1/2"x16" parallam beam at the center of the span. Is
there any way I can calc this out, or am I asking for trouble based on some
type of stresses that are formed at the corners of the notch, etc. which is
the basis of the code requirement?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer SE