Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Notched Wood Beam[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Notched Wood Beam
- From: Larry Hauer <LRHauer(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
- Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:11:25 -0400
The UBC expressly prohibits notching the tension side of 4x wood members except at the ends. I have a job where the architect wants to notch out 1" at the bottom of a 3-1/2"x16" parallam beam at the center of the span. Is there any way I can calc this out, or am I asking for trouble based on some type of stresses that are formed at the corners of the notch, etc. which is the basis of the code requirement? Thanks in advance, Larry Hauer SE
- Prev by Subject: Re: Northridge Earthquake a Major "Event"
- Next by Subject: Re: Notched Wood Beam
- Previous by thread: RE: Suggestted Modification to List FAQ
- Next by thread: roof deck wind screen