From: Andy Costello [mailto:acost(--nospam--at)cwfab.com]
Sent: Friday, October 29, 1999 9:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bracing the compression flange on steel beam?

How about a technical question, for a change.
Is a lateral brace that is attached from the tension flange
to half way up the web considered an effective brace?
Some would say that the stiffness of the web can support its comp flange,
and keep the beam section from twisting, hence Lc reduced.
I have some references but still not clear, your option is appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy