RE: Bracing the compression flange on steel beam?

Andy,

May I suggest that you read some of the literature that Joseph A. Yura
(University of Texas at Austin)has written with regard to bracing for
stability.  I have a paper that he authored, "Fundamentals of Beam Bracing",
revised 5/95.  It discusses, in detail, using stiffeners (fully connected
between the top and bottom flange of the beam being braced), or partial
depth stiffening (counting on the web stiffness of the beam being braced).
Yura recommends that cross frames without web stiffeners should have a depth
of at least 3/4 of the beam (being braced) depth to minimize distortion.
Hope this helps.

Robert C. Rogers, PE
robert.rogers(--nospam--at)woolpert.com <mailto:robert.rogers(--nospam--at)woolpert.com>
Woolpert LLP
409 East Monument Avenue
Dayton, Ohio 45402