Re: roof deck wind screen

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Jeff Smith" <smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: roof deck  wind screen
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:53:08 -0700

Say you have a three story building with a roof deck and the client wants to
put up a 6 foot high wind screen along 50% of one of the longitudinal
exterior walls. Would this require a complete upgrade of the lateral system
in the offending direction? If so, would you not then be obligated to
consider improvements for seismic loads?

I have seen these wind screens in several places, yet I am sure no one ever
upgraded the building due to the wind screen.

Jeff Smith

As far as my concern, anyway an engineering report is required to show if such upgrade is necessary or not! So I prefer to upgrade the lateral loads in these cases. Although usually the calculations have enough safety margin to not be affected by small load increasing. That 6 feet height wall in top of a three story building shouldn't be a big deal and as you noticed usually nobody even think about that.

email: fmtehrani(--nospam--at)hotmail.com