Re: Compression flange bracing

The concept of bracing the compression flange of a flexural member is intended
to provide external boundary conditions for the lateral torsional buckling limit
state (failure mode for ASD types).  The brace must be strong enough and stiff
enough prevent the entire beam cross-section from either twisting or laterally
displacing.  The question you need to ask is whether or not the roof plates are
heavy enough and stiff enough with enough normal force to prevent the
compression flange from twisting or laterally displacing.

I don't think that friction would be your first choice as a load path for the
required bracing stiffness and strength.  However, we can't ignore the economics
of the situation also.  If a tank roof rafter actually overcame friction and
laterally torsionally buckled, its flexural capacity would be suddenly reduced
and the roof system would sag.  However, if the rafter end connections are
strong enough, the rafters would now start to act like cable structure tension
members.  The situation would be stable, although with greater vertical
displacements.  Is this acceptable to your clients?

Another way to look at it is the famous list server line "Where are the bodies?"
Have any AWWA designed roof structures "failed" because of the current design
procedure?  If not, the curent design procedure is fit for purpose.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo

"Lutz,James" <JLUTZ(--nospam--at)earthtech.com> on 10/29/99 08:33:16 AM