RE: Steel section properties Circa 1901

Glenn:
AISC publishes a "Iron and Steel Beams 1873-1952" - Historical record
dimensions and properties of rolled shapes as rolled in the USA from
1873-1952. I am not certain of it's present cost but over the years has
proven a valuable tool in similar situations.  It also provides shapes based
upon manufacturer and rolling period which can help identify the specific
steel if you have drawings from the period.

>From this reference, many factors including manufacturer will vary slightly
but here's some help:
ASTM, A9 	Rivet Steel	50-60ksi Tensile Strength	30ksi YP
Buildings	Medium Steel	60-70ksi  "           "		35ksi YP

This was revised in 1901 so yield point was 1/2 tensile strength.

The shape you have noted is likely a WF but I also see a standard shape with
similar properties:

Standard:
Area	6.2 sq.in.
Sxx	18.7
Syy	2.47
Ixx	84.3
Iyy	5.56

Wide Flange (WF9x21):
Area	6.2 sq.in.
Sxx	19.7
Syy	3.01
Ixx	88.8
Iyy	8.2
Hope this helps.

Dennis B. Decator P.E.
dbdecator(--nospam--at)hedesign.com <mailto:dbdecator(--nospam--at)hedesign.com>
Harley Ellington Design
Structural Department