RE: Steel section properties Circa 1901

My mom, proud of her engineer son, picked up an old book at an estate sale
in Wisconsin that she thought I might find useful - "Pocket Companion
Containing Useful Information and Tables Appertaining to the Use of Steel"
by the Carnegie Steel Company, Dated 1900.  Thanks Mom!

Between tables of square roots and common rivet sizes, is a table of
"I-Beams":

Section Index B13
Depth 9 inches
Weight Per foot: 21 lbs
Flange Width: 4.330
Web Thickness: 0.290
This section is in bold, indicating it is a "standard" section (opposed to
"special")

Sorry - no I's or S's or r's, but a nice sketch of the section.  Digging
deeper in the book (pages are crumbling in my fingers), I find a beam table
that gives safe uniform load for different span lengths (I assume simply
supported - but it doesn't say this explicitly).  For 9x21, for instance, a
15-foot span can carry 6.71 tons (includes weight of beam) for a maximum
fiber stress of 16,000 psi.  I'll let you calculate S.  (In the description
of the table, it says in some instances deflection of L/360 may control, but
no indication is given whether it does in this case or not.)

Good luck.  If you'd like me to dig for more, please ask.
Brian McDonald, Ph.D., S.E.
mcdonald(--nospam--at)exponent.com