Re: Steel section properties Circa 1901

Glenn:

I see that you've got a bunch of different answers to your question.  I'll
just add a little more:

>From Bethlehem Structural Shapes, dated 1926 (book owned by my father)

Section no.  B9
Depth:	9
wt/ft		20.5  plf
Area		6.02  in2
web t		.25    in
flange width	5.50  in
Ix		85.5  in4
Sx	            19.0  in3
Iy	            8.53  in4
Sy		3.10  in3

I notice that the maximum stresses shown is for 18 and 16 ksi, used for
"Quiescent Loads", and 12 ksi used for moving loads.

It's probably a good idea to physically measure the beam the best that you
can and then take your pick of the information that's been offered.

Neil Moore, S.E.

At 02:32 PM 10/29/1999 -0400, Glenn Otto wrote:
>I have a building from 1901 with steel trusses.  The purlins are " 9 x
21".  Does anyone have any historical information on the section properties
and material properties? The building is at the Norfolk Naval Base in
Virginia.  I believe this pre-dates AISC and maybe ASTM.  I guess steel was
already in production, so it isn't iron.  Thanks.

>Also, I would like to nominate myself for one of the top 100 structural
engineers of the century. Really. Hey, I mean it.  Quit laughing.  I think
I'm pretty good.