Interior residential walls - clearance from concrete????

I am designing a custom home in the desert where the slab changes elevation
by one foot. The Architect wants to frame the bearing walls on the low side
of the slab so as to simplify the finish on the walls down to the plate.
I was reminded that there is a requirment for a 1" clearance between the
concrete and the wood - which makes the finish on the high side difficult.

Can someone point me to the code (UBC) section that stipulates a 1" clearance
for concrete on the inside of a residence where a moisture vapor barrier is
applied below?

Also, can I substitute builders paper between the studs and concrete stem
wall at the elevation change and bring the wall closer to the concrete?

Finally, what is the basis for this requirment if there is no expectation of
moisture permeating the slab?

Thanks in a advance,
Dennis S. Wish PE