Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Steel base plate thickness???[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Steel base plate thickness???
- From: "Lloyd Pack" <packman(--nospam--at)thegrid.net>
- Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 21:15:47 -0800
- Priority: normal
I'm wanting to get opinions on calculating base plate thicknesses on moment resisting frames and braced frames. When in school I used the text "Steel structures" by Gaylord, Gaylord and Stalmayer, (I believe). Anyway, that book has some examples of base plate design where the plate must transfer moment. Recently I was working on a rigid frame in a house, and used the method in the book to size my base plate. I got a base plate thickness of 2", which seems rather large. Which methods do any of you use to calculate the thickness of your base plates? When I looked through the AISC ASD Manual I found little help on the subject? Are these plates really supposed to be this thick? Any suggestions and guidance would be appreciated. Thank you, Lloyd Pack
- Prev by Subject: RE: Std. of Care
- Next by Subject: Re: Steel base plate thickness???
- Previous by thread: Re: Wood Design Spreadsheet - Freeware
- Next by thread: Re: Steel base plate thickness???