Steel base plate thickness???

I'm wanting to get opinions on calculating base plate thicknesses
on moment resisting frames and braced frames.  When in school
I used the text "Steel structures" by Gaylord, Gaylord and
Stalmayer, (I believe).  Anyway, that book has some examples of
base plate design where the plate must transfer moment.  Recently I
was working on a rigid frame in a house, and used the method in
the book to size my base plate. I got a base plate thickness of 2",
which seems rather large.

Which methods do any of you use to calculate the thickness of
your base plates?

When I looked through the AISC ASD Manual I found little help
on the subject?

Are these plates really supposed to be this thick?

Any suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Lloyd Pack