Swinging Chandelier?

Need some 2nd opinions on this one.

I have a client who wants to hang a very expensive chandelier in a clerestory
tower  above the foyer of a clubhouse.  I suggested installing guy wires or
thin cables at four points on the piece to stabilize it during an earthquake.
 I am in Seismic Zone 4 and within 15 km of the San Andreas fault.

The chandelier designer  would rather not install the guy wires as it may
detract from the appearance.  Furthermore, if it is not free to move as a
one-piece sculpture it may clack against itself, break apart, and fall on the
folks below.

Any suggestions or opinions?  I know this isn't as interesting as the guy
with the #2 pencil question, but can you help me out anyway?

Denise
The Flying Buttress