RE: Compatibility of AutoCad with Microstation J

While I am no expert on MicroStation vs. Autocad, I do think you will run
into some problems with trying to read one file with the other program.
First, MicroStation J is the latest version of Bentley flagship product.  As
such, the other CAD systems have not had enough time to determine if their
product can read MS J much less make any changes to their product to
accomdate this new file format.  Therefore, I would think that even the
latest version of Autocad, considering that it came out BEFORE MicroStation
J would not be able to read a MS J file.

Also bear in mind that some of the features of MicroStation J will allow you
to treat drawing entities as objects and thus attach attributes to them.
So, if your client wants you to use MicroStation J for this purpose, chances
are that doing the work in Autocad and then translating it will cause the
drawing to be dumb vs. smart.

Dave

Dave Angelotti, PE
Business Process Steward
Facilities Design and Asset Management
Mail No. 544		(517) 496-6386 (Ph)
Dow Corning Corporation	(517) 496-5419 (Fax)
Midland, MI  48686-0995
dave.angelotti(--nospam--at)dowcorning.com