RE: Rho in Diaphragms

Darrell,

Glad to see that not all of us engin-NERDS (As my wife calls me) are total
stiffs and can appreciate some humor.

Take a look at section 1630.5 (Vertical distribution of force). I probably
should have labeled Fp as Fpx (So as not to confuse you further about
seismic coefficients). Fpx is the force to a particular floor from the
vertical distribution of the base shear V. Fx per EQT (30-15) is this

Fx= (V-Ft)Wx*hx/(SUM(wi*hi))   at each level. If you have a 1 story building
Fx=V=Eh minus the walls parallel to the direction of the earthquake
tributary to the roof..

It uses V not Eh, but in Eh is defined as equal to V in section 1630.1.
Anyway, Eh doesn't equal E. (Confused Yet?) E has the rho term. Why do they
even use V anymore if V = Eh ? ? ?

To conclude, E is not in the diaphragm equations. The V term is used. Eh
does not have Rho in it either.

If this code was published in Brail, it would be easier to decipher.

Hope this helps. Take it easy.

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer, Associate
CRJ Associates, Inc.
email: gerardm(--nospam--at)crjarch.com
tel: 650.324.0691
fax: 650.324.0927
web: www.crjarch.com

These views are mine alone. These opinions should not be construed
to be policy at or the opinion of CRJ Associates.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???
(GERMANS ?) Let him go, he's rolling.
NOOOO ! ! !  And it ain't over now ! ! !
(Animal House)