Modification to Rules

Can't we all just get along?

Wow!  The anti-humor sentiment and debate has produced much more energy than I thought it ever would when I first read its proposition.

I have been monitoring the list for a couple of months now and have the following to say:

The comments of a couple of days ago regarding the level of professional participation on this list, and in general, were in my opinion right on the money.  I find both personal time and professional fellowship to be invaluable and at best a difficult balance.

Some of us want to define how this forum functions for all who are served by it.

Seems to me, this would only result in reduced professional participation.  A significant disservice to the profession and all who participate in this forum.

I suggest we let this forum define itself.  The purposes of which are engineering discourse is an obvious and almost forgone conclusion.

I think we need to to remind ourselves that however different this forum serves us, it serves us all equally.

To police the exchange of ideas, yes this includes humor, is self defeating.  After all we are all professionals, perhaps different but I believe equal.

Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Keith De Lapp, P.E.