CAMPAIGN FOR THE INDEPENDENT STRUCTURAL REVIEWING FOR BUILDINGS PROJECTS IN CHILE

Improving of the current Chilean ordinance related
to designing of special and/or irregular buildings.

( If you can see the opinion of EE experts..you can go to  www.rfa.cl/par  where I have published them )
By Pablo Arrieta
______________

Dear Sir/Madam

I am Pablo Arrieta,26 years old and Structural Civil Engineer. Currently, I am working with Professor Rodrigo Flores as his Assistant and Project Engineer.

As you may know, during the last high intensive earthquake in Chile (1985), the buildings had a good behaviour;  it was mainly because of their high wall density and the regularity.

Since those years, however, there have been designing more irregulars (1)  buildings with less wall density. Unfortunately, meanwhile, we have not developed an integrated system of regulations and ordinance to control the impeccability and safety during the process of analysis, designing and building of those new irregular structures.

1 . The typical criteria for irregular structures are based on plan and elevation irregularity.  The criteria look at mass-stiffness-strength distribution, large re-entrant.

If a building is classified as irregular, I believe that should require special analysis and detailing requirements above those required for regular structures.

In Chile, there have not been advances in REVIEWEING, special requirements, special permissions and control according to the architectural advances

My first particular AIM is for the government to make a special commission which review the present Chilean Codes, ordinance and jurisdiction, and then improve them in order to establish, for example, a GENERAL REVIEWING (Analysis and design) for SPECIAL and IRREGULAR STRUCTURAL buildings.

Now, I am interesting in be acquainted of the ORDINANCE made by the government of US., JAPAN,N.Z., CANADA,and other seismic countries related to approve SPECIAL (irregular) structural design, such as:

1.-When is  a review by other company or special committee require, if any ?

2.-Which are the requisite  for the Companies to participate in the design of an irregular or special building ?

3.-How does YOUR COUNTRY define the adequate capabilities of the Companies to participate in such projects ? There are some Categories?

Thanking in advance for your time in reviewing this matter and please  contact me  to clarify,if any,  the information I request

I beg your prompt answer.
Sincerely,

Pablo Arrieta R.
Ingeniero Civil / RFA Ingenieros
Bustos 2057 - Providencia
Casilla 2895
Santiago - Chile
Phone         :  56-2-2050570 /Fax :  56-2-2256969
e-mail          :  parrieta(--nospam--at)rfa.cl
Web Site    :  http://www.rfa.cl  (Consúltenos !)