Base Isolators

I have some questions regarding the typical base isolators. Base Isolators
are
using lead for their core. Any ideas why lead is being used ? Why not steel?
have to admit that I am not familiar with base isolation devices. And the
steel plate between the rubber plate; Are these ordinary steel plates or do
they have some properties that are unique for base isolation devices. The
same question applies to the rubbers.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A. Yango
CE/SE
TMP